If you’re a Houstonian, chances are you enjoy a good taco. Marco A. Torres, taco columnist from Houston Chronicle, recently shared his favorites from around the city. Whether you live inside the loop or in the suburbs, we’ve got you covered!
Inside the Loop
- If you’re inside the city loop, then check out Calavera Mexican Kitchen inside Bravery Chef Hall, which offers mahi mahi tacos, skirt tacos, and tacos de papas.
- Brothers Taco House on Emancipation Avenue, has delicious breakfast tacos and other items. This year also marks their 20th anniversary as a family-owned restaurant.
- Chilosos Taco House, a Tex-Mex restaurant, offers a range of tacos, including their street double corn tortilla tacos with your choice of barbacoa, chicken, or beef fajita.
- Make your tastebuds light up with tacos from TJ Birria y Mas, which include tacos suaves, four mini beef corn tortilla tacos, or the quesabirria con consome with one large flour tortilla, melted cheese, and shredded beef.
- La Guadalupana off of Dunlavy is one of my favorite taco places in Houston to find tasty and inexpensive tacos. Try their taco especial made with eggs, potatoes, chorizo, onions, bell peppers, and cheese.
- At Picos Mexican Restaurant, try the chicharrón en salsa verde, which is made with pork belly confit sautéed in green tomatillo, fresh herb and serrano sauce, and served with onions, cilantro and salsa taquera.
- Torres also enjoys Taconoza, the food truck on Fulton Street. His favorite meal to devour: fajitas tacos with green salsa, side of frijoles, and a Mexican Coke.
- Alamo Tamales, a Texas-based company in business for more than 50 years, has amazing tamales, but you also can get breakfast tacos and lunch tacos to satisfy your cravings.
- If you’re looking for a wide variety of tasty breakfast tacos, then check out The Original Villa Arcos on Navigation Boulevard.
- Porras Prontito, near the Houston Ship Channel, has tons of taco offerings and a delectable carne asada.
If you want to know Torres’ picks for the south and west side of the city, then listen to the rest of his City Cast Houston podcast episode.